Animal Wood is an animal themed, outdoor play area that we made at Castlewellan Forest Park in Northern Ireland. Surrounding by nature, we created everything in our typically rustic style, incorporating animal carvings into the play area to further entertain children (and adults).
It was one of two outdoor play areas that we did in Northern Ireland at the time – the other being a sculpture centrepiece at Gortin Glen Forest Park. Working in such beautiful parts of the world is always a pleasure and it was a delight to make a natural looking play area to fit in with the natural surroundings.
The play area features:
- A squirrel’s drey climbing tower, complete with squirrel carving.
- A carved spider climb and spider’s web climb net.
- A rope V-bridge connecting two multiplay towers, each featuring multiple pieces of play apparatus including a slide, climb ladder, climbing wall, and slide pole.
- A crawl-through fox hole complete with fox carving.
- A log climb proudly displaying a badger carving.
- A carved bird of prey, mounted on a post, looking over the play area.
As with many of our creations, this themed play area started life as a simple drawing before being constructed in our workshop in Norfolk. We then transported everything to the site in Northern Ireland, crossing over on the ferry, and started the installation.
Designing Your Project
Please take a look at our other outdoor play areas, as well as the wooden sculptures and carvings we have created to help give you inspiration for your own project. If you would like to discuss an idea, please don’t hesitate to get in contact with us and we can walk you through the design process.